PhD position available DEADLINE: 15 June 2018
3-year Ph.D. position funded by GENERALITAT VALENCIANA
The Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics at the Departament of Physics in University Jaume I (http://biophysics.uji.es/) offers a 3-years predoctoral contract within the project “Electrostatic and Entropic regulation of ion transport through viral and bacterial proteins”. The selected candidate will be funded by the Santiago Grisolia PhD programme, and will have a net salary of 1200€ per month plus travel and tuition expenses
Bioelectrochemistry in protein ion channels and charged interfaces. Biophysical characterization of membrane permeabilization induced by biologically active compounds
Structure-function relationships in viral and bacterial proteins. Theoretical modelling of ion transport based on 3D atomic structure. MD simulations. Continuum models and Electrostatic calculations. Statistical Mechanics. Thermodynamics. Electrophysiology. Ion channel reconstitution into planar membranes. Noise analysis. Nanopores and other biomimetic materials.
Selected publications by the group:
- Alcaraz et at. ACS Nano 11(2017) 10392-10400.
- Largo et al. BBA Biomembranes (2018) 1860: 1015-1021.
- Kalu et al. FEBS Letters 591 (2017): 3481–3492.
- L. López et al. Nanoscale, 8 (2016): 13422
We look for students with a proven track record of academic excellence and interest in the intersection between physics, chemistry and biology at the molecular level. Candidates should fulfill the following requirements:
- Hold an internationally recognized degree by a NON SPANISH institution in the scientific field next to the above research area.
- The Degree must have been obtained after January 30th, 2014.
- Knowledge of spoken spanish or english adequate to the tasks involved in the proposed training.
- Not holding already a PhD degree.
- Hold an internationally recognized master’s degree in Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology…) or evidence of its completion by June 2018.
- Be ready to enroll in a doctorate program in the academic course 2018/1019.
How to apply
Applications and informal queries about the position and the project should be addressed by e-mail to Antonio Alcaraz (firstname.lastname@example.org), using the subject “Grisolia Predoc”. Applications should include CV, cover letter, electronic copy of the Certified Academic Record for the degree and master, and names and contact information of two referees.
We are seeking undergraduate students who may carry out their master thesis in our lab in any of our research areas. If your are interested in joining us, please send you CV to email@example.com and we will contact you.
Currently, there are no open calls for posdoc positions. Candidates interested in registering for receiving information when new positions become available are welcome. Please send your expression of interest and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.